Threaded View

Last On
    09-19-2023 @ 12:24 AM
    Local Date
    06-01-2024
    Local Time
    05:46 PM

30 carbine PDW - Older can be better

I was browsing some writings from the Black Rifle "Tacticool" crowd, and it dawned on me that everyone has a hard on about the FN 5.7mm and what a great PDW round it is. In its BEST loading, it only has about 350 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle, and drops of from there! That is about a third of the M1icon carbine rounds! Add to that that it looses energy faster, and has a more rainbow shaped trajectory, I fail to see what the excitement is about. It will icepick through some body armor, but the carbine will defeat 3A kevlar also.

Those same folks who rave about the 5.7 generally would pan the 30 carbine mercilessly as "ineffective". There are probably a million or so souls that would beg to differ.!

Don't get me wrong, I am not stuck in the past. AK103 is my overall first choice.

BTW: I think I mentioned a year or two ago on the old Joustericon board that I read somewhere the Frenchicon made a copy of the STG44 in 30 carbine for a short while. I came across that while researching the history of the CETME.

Information
    Warning: This is a relatively older thread
    This discussion is older than 360 days. Some information contained in it may no longer be current.
    Last edited by imarangemaster; 10-30-2009 at 08:49 PM.